Pickled Chinese cabbage
Pickled Chinese cabbage is good both of the core and leaves. It is nice to eat plain core with a few drops of soy sauce.
Choose good Chinese cabbage that is heavy and roll tightly. Sun-dried Chinese cabbage is rich in flavor.
Dry in the sun
- Make a cut in a root of Chinese cabbage and tear in half by hands.
- Again make a cut in a root and tear in half by hands.
- Wash Chinese cabbage and drain the water off.
- Spread a mat on the sunny place, place Chinese cabbage.
- After 2 or 3 hours, turn over Chinese cabbage and dry more 2 or 3 hours.
Tools for Pickle
- barrel: Tell the truth, wooden barrel is best, but now use plastic one.
- stone weight: 2 times of dried radish weight
- 2 dried Chinese cabbage (about 9 lb)
- salt: 5% of dried Chinese cabbage weight
- 4 inch by 8 inch Kombu: cut into four
- 5 red pepper
- 1 yuzu(an aromatic citron): wash and cut a half moon pieces
- Put a handful of salt in the bottom of barrel. Arrange Chinese cabbage by turns as the cut end become upward.
- Put a Kombu, yuzu, red pepper and a handful of salt.
- Repeat 1) and 2), filled the barrel with the Chinese cabbage. At last, put the rest Kombu yuzu, red pepper and salt.
- Cover with a lid. Put a weight. Cover with a newspaper.
3 or 4 days later...
Reduce weight to half.
After more 1 or 2 days, Chinese cabbage will be just ready to eat. Best if used by a week.