When it is a hot season, I want to drink this extremely.
- 1 kg (=2.2 lbs) >red shiso leaves
- 750 g (=1.7 lbs) sugar (made from sugarcane)
- 250 ml honey
- 1 tablespoon citric acid (you can substitute lemon juice)
- 1.8 liter water
- Pick shiso leaves. Wash red shiso leaves and drain. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon salt, rub slightly shiso leaves with salt, wash and drain.
- Pour 1.8 liter water into a big pot and heat. When water comes to boil, put shiso leaves. When reddish purple pigment is extracted from the shiso leaves, turn off heat (about 2 or 3 minutes). Remove the shiso leaves from the pot, and add sugar, honey and citric acid.
- Prepare a bottle for preserving juice. Pour boiling water to sterilize the bottle. Bottle juice and keep in a refrigerator. When you drink, you dilute shiso juice with 3 or 4 times water or hot water. You also dilute gin or use for sirup.
- The point is flavor of shiso leaves and sweetness. I made shiso juice using various type of sugar, but I think law sugar made from sugarcane is best. And I choose plain honey.
- You can make shiso juice using green type one. It becomes not bright red when you use purple shiso, but its flavor is strong.