Simmered potato and onion with egg
This is the dish which a grandmother always made. It is still the one of the dish to go up on a dining table best.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 3 or 4 dried shiitake
- 4 fried fish balls
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of soup stock extracte from dried shiitake
- mirin, soy sauce and salt
- Soak dried shiitake in water for a night. If you have no time, soak in lukewarm water with a pinch of sugar. Squeeze out water and cut off stems. Cut into thin strips. Keep the water used for soaking to be used for soup stock.
- Peel potato and cut a rectangular block into 1/2x1/2x2-inch bars. Soak in water for ten minutes.
- Peel onion and cut 1/2-inch width.
- Cut fried fish ball 1/2-inch width.
- Put potato, onion, shiitake, fried fish ball in pot. Pour soup stock and lid. When it comes to boil, simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. Add a tablespoon of mirin, a teaspoon of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Beat egg. Stop heat and pour egg.