Simmered thick cucumber with starchy sauce
This is summer dish. When I get thick cucumber, I am at a loss whether to make Cucumber with sakekasu or this dish. Cool one is also quite good.
- 1 thick cucumber
- 1 package mushroom like shimeji or shiitake
- 2 inch x 4 inch Kombu
- sake, mirin, soy sauce, salt
- 1 tablespoon katakuriko (potato starch) : dissolve in 1 tablespoon water
- Pare thick cucumber and cut lengthwise into two. Remove seed and cut into 1/2 inch width.
- Remove hard tip from shimeji mushroom and tear. Wash quickly.
- Put Kombu on the bottom of a pan. Put cucumber and shimeji and pour a cup of water. Put wooden drop-lid . Simmer for 10 minutes until cucumber becomes soft. Add 1 tablespoon sake, 1 tablespoon mirin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a little of soy sauce. Simmer for more 5 minutes. Pour dissolved katakuriko and stir until souce becomes thick.
- Arrange on serving bowl and garnish shredded Kombu.